Thursday, November 15, 2007

Post Race Week

So,
How do I handle the week after the race? It's simple....patience and control.

Sunday: Off. Really wanted to do an open water swim, held back and rested.
Monday: Off. Really dying to get out there and run easy for 30 minutes or easy ride for an hour. Held off to do whats best for my recovery.
Tuesday: Bike easy 15 miles, 60 minutes, 150 watts average. Really could have biked longer and stronger. Did what is best...not based on what I "feel" like doing.
Wed: OK, its been 4 days. Now I can ease back into the running. 5 miles in 39 minutes. Easy. Legs felt great for 35 minutes, final 1/2 mile, slight fatigue started to set it. Now I am so happy I didnt run on Monday, and took the proper recovery.
Noon, Swim 3000: All zone 2 relaxed intervals, drills, and a 1000 continuous. This felt good.

Thurs: OK, I have taken the proper recovery, so now a continuous 2 hour ride, Zone 2.
Got in 43 miles in 2:05 (20.5 mph). 80 cadence and ave power 225 watts. This felt relaxed and comfortable. Man, I am glad I didnt bike too much too early after the race. Had I....then todays 2 hour sustained 225 watts wouldnt have been possilble. I would have felt fatigued early on most likely. I've learned this from the past. My ave HR today's ride? 105 (top of zone 1 = 120)
Wanted to do short run off the bike but I know this is not the right thing to do. AGAIN...fighting my urges to workout and do the right thing.

Friday: Plan is to swim 3000 again. Some short Z3 stuff mixed with zone 1 and 2. Short 40 min run in morning.

Saturday: Plan is to ride 70-80 steady. This is 15 days out, and will not be my final longer ride.
Sunday: Plan is to run 16-18 miles. This is 14 days out from Ironman Western Australia. This will not be my final long run. Final long run will be next friday, the day I fly out.

So, all in all, taking essentially 4.5 days rest is the right thing to do. 2 full days off after a half is better than "active recovery". I took my "active recovery" on tuesday's easy short ride, and wed.'s easy short run. After my 2 full days off.