Saturday, September 06, 2008

Jason Lester finishes Ultraman Canada

http://www.chasingmemovie.com/


This is a link to Jason Lester's film in the works. Jason has been an athlete of mine since December of 07 and in this short time, especially in his past 6 weeks or so in Portland, I've seen him grow as an athlete in several ways.

Jason just completed Ultraman Canada last weekend as part of a relay doing 2 of the 3 events in his prep for Ultraman Hawaii this November. He Completing the 10k swim in brutal conditions, then the double marathon, 52 miles, much of it on trail. His swim time was impressive considering the conditions and the run to say the least, well....52 miles of hills and trail. I discussed the race with Jason before leaving for ITU Worlds and specifically told him, "I'm not worried man". I truly wasnt. I knew his preparation was adequate to complete the distance and even running back to back 4:30 marathons was not a big suprise to me. And....he did it on liquid calories...figure that.

This was just a small stepping stone for Jason, as he now has to prepare himself for IM Worlds in Kona, then 6 wks later, Ultraman Hawaii. Of course in that race, he will be completing the entire distance. I believe no disabled person has ever completed the Ultraman Hawaii race, but if I am wrong, check me on that. But I am pretty certain of this. "Disabled"?? Man...that sure sounds like a funny word to describe Jason who competes at this level. But, what can you say to a man who ignores his limitation to accomplish these things. Inspiration. So, kudos Jason, good race...but now the work begins.

Check out Scott Mcmillans' site, good write up on doping. http://scottkmcmillan.wordpress.com/

As I told many of our friends....the primary reason I accepted a spot on team usa for ITU worlds this year, is because I was told they would be randomly testing age groupers, with higher percentage of testing for podium finishers. I wanted very much to run a race that I feel may eliminate some of the unbelievably fast times you see at some races this year, out of fear of being tested. I would, and many I talk to would, gladly pay an additional 25.oo for IM entry fees to test all 5 podium athletes. This small fee amongst the entire age group would easily pay for a testing program like this. Why they havent initiated something like ITU...at Kona...amazes me. By NOT developing a program of some sort to weed out the cheaters in our sport, is an assumption of guilt. Guilt by the inaction by indirectly allowing doping to occur. As Scott eluted to, doping is commonly associated with epo, steroids (glucocorticoids), and testosterone. However, I have the USOC book on illegal drug agents and the list is long. In fact, I would venture to say many athletes dont even realize they are doping.

For example, sucking on an inhaler prior to a race? If you havent had a pulmonary function test by a physician/pulmonologist with an official record of asthma or exercise induced asthma? Guess what...you're doping.

Stuff nose on race morning? You pop a couple of over the counter cold and sinus tabs? You are most likely taking pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, or some variant. Guess what....you're doping.

I strongly agree with Scott. I have brought this up to my athletes, and in fact, this just came up on our Ironheads team group site several weeks ago. Athletes taking Claritin D or Allegra D for allergy symptoms. Guess what....the D stands for pseudoephedrine, and you're doping.

Be true to yourself. Knowledge is power.

By the way, taking pseudofed on race day in an IM? Taking inhalers during an IM? These agents cause an increase in heart rate, quite dramatically, because they are in the class of drugs called sypathomemetics.
An increase in heart rate in an IM marathon will ruin your race. I have seen it happen to athletes of mine and friends who didnt know...werent told. This is an innocent mistake and not truly doping in my mind when you arent told. However, once you realize, then there's no excuse. Even so, ask look at ANY medicine you take and make sure its legal. Then you can feel good about yourself in the race. And...in cases of a doctor prescribed anti allergy med or inhaler? That makes it legal. Documentation of a medically necessary agent like these is necessary, but , if you are potentially harmed in a race by not taking your meds, then you obviously need them. There are exceptions. Very few, but there are for some people like this.

Now, my honest opinion on epo? I highly doubt many age groupers do this, and probably hardly any pro triathletes. First of all, many pro's dont have the resources to spend 1200 per month on epo, and of course pro cyclists are in a completely different financial class compared to the typical pro triathlete. I know a few of the ins and outs regarding the maintenance of epo as a doc, and its no easy task. Taking heparin (blood thinner) on a daily basis, getting pin pricked several times per week, monitoring PPT and INR for coagulation variables necessary to monitor so you dont end up with a stroke or heart attack....why in the world is going through all this worth a kona slot!! I highly doubt anyone dopes to get a kona slot, it just doesnt take that much natural talent to get a slot...it takes intelligent training, proper rest, correct nutrition, and well thought out strategy, and most importantly a relentless drive through pain. Yes, I realize we all have high pain limits during competition, but, the pain threshold for all of us is variable. While many athletes believe they have a very high pain threshold, other athletes' are even higher and they are willing to push even harder through suffering during a race. This is not a judgement, its just a fact. I myself have had high pain threshold during a race, but have backed off because I just didnt have "it" on race day. Troika HIM was an example. 2 guys passed me at mile 9 and I ran 6:20 pace with them for 2 miles. This hurt me. I backed off and let them go as they werent in my age group. Now, in IMAZ, IMWA, IMRoth, IMCDA, etc...I have driven on near my starting pace to the point of tears in my eyes. The drive to get on that podium is high for me and I believe much higher than other athletes just as prepared in my AG. I have, in past races, actually looked down at my legs and thought, 'are those my legs?' No shit. I have run with numbness in my legs, which is a point beyond of which I rarely compete in shorter races. I have discussed this with Ann. She describes the exact same feeling in her IM the final 10k. Yes I still get my ass kicked by my AG. Some of these guys dont suffer like I do. Why? Simple...they are better prepared than me and they have better physiology/fitness than me. That doesnt mean I will not try however.

Additionally, I have seen the podium finishers in multiple age groups in the past 9 IM I've done and all of these athletes look more fit then those lower finishers in the age groups, and their times are not ridiculous...they are actually achievable. Now, at Kona in 2006...yeah, 5 or so age groupers breaking 9 hours was a bit difficult to believe. However, google some of the names of the athletes who go this fast, I challenge you. You will see that in some cases where you come across race results, you'll see some of these guys have run sub 2:20 marathons, have been all american college swimmers, cat I cyclists, etc. Now, I am not saying you have to have some extreme talent in one or more of the events of triathlon to make the podium...but it sure does help. Those athletes who struggle in IM races, many I know myself, have no backgound at all in aerobic sport, or at least no background as an elite athlete. Now, you compare an athlete with no former elite training in any of the 3 components to a guy who move to triathlon from a 2:18 marathon? The one with the elite running history will likely come out on top, and there are numerous cases of the podium finishers in Kona with elite backgrounds like this. So, yeah while some of the times seen unbelievably fast...its not impossible considering many of these athletes' backgounds.

Regardless, I think it would clean up the few that do cheat if a program was initiated for amateurs in triathlon. Yeah...and if you have to dope in order to run a 9:50 to get to Kona? You have problems. Start with a sports psychologist or therapist.