Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Roth Germany, June 2007

Congrat to Sal, who PR'd in the 10k portion (for an open 10K) in an Olympic distance triathlon weekend before last. In tough swim conditions, and difficult bike terrain, managed to pull the race together and nail down a strong 10k.
Congrats to David, Aleck and Heather this past weekend. Dave and Aleck ran Cali 70.3 and both placed high, Dave missing the podium by a minute but setting a slight PR on the course, and Aleck deciding to lay up on an injured calf and walking several times during the run, still posting a 4:44. Wisely, thinking about the primary goal to come. Heather ran New Orleans 70.3 and this race had to be tough, esp the run in hot and humid conditions compared to training all season in highs of 50 and cold rain here in Portland. Again, its the primary goal that's important and I myself was not really concerned on how anyone raced in these "B" races, used to practice race strategy, build fitness, and gain some momentum going into the final couple of months to their IM events.

Below is the blog from my IM in Roth Germany in 2007, for those who are new to my coaching there are some good points in this blog. Most importantly, to have some success in IM racing, even as an amateur, you've gotta have guts. I've forgotten the adversity I faced in this race over the past couple of years and sorting back through my race reports brings back memories on how it was to compete for a podium slot while injured, deprived and with adversity thrown at me during the race.

I have a wide diversity of athletes and train with similar diversity. A common variable in those who have the ability to go to Kona, make the Podium, is the drive to succeed. Not only in the race, but in preparation. My "star" athletes are obvious to me. They have an innate ability to absorb information, process it, and utilize it. They learn from mistakes, and they try to mimick those factors that led me to success on the amateur level in this sport.

It comes down to the bare essentials. You've got to be properly trained. You've got to have your nutrition down. But, most importantly there will come a time in every race when you have to decide. You'll have to decide. Do you want it more than the person in front of you.

I have 7 athletes this year that are able to qualify for Kona. Of those 7, I believe 5 should be on the podium in their qualifier IM. None may make it...all may make it. In the months of preparation, and in the final weeks, the personal decisions each make on a workout to workout basis will mold them into what I know they can be. As well, those decisions made may undermine their ability, and they only have themselves to blame in this case. You can only go so far as a coach, and the real decisions have to be made by the athlete.When it comes down to race day, executing the race properly is up to them. That critical decision to be made at about mile 18 of the marathon will have to be made. I am confident each and every one of them can go to Kona, but they will each have to make their own decisions, in training, properly resting, nutrition execution, and whether they want to lay it all out there when it counts. No this doesnt apply only to athletes on the verge of a Kona qualifier, but applies to anyone who is striving for a pesonal best, their first Ironman, and whether dropping 10 minute off your PR, or over an hour, it all applies.

Sunday, June 24, 2007
Roth
Myths and Facts about the Roth Quelle Challenge Ironman


1: The course is fast and flat. This couse has 5240 ft of climbing with 4 major climbs. Why are the times fast? It's one of the most competitive IM in the world, comparable to Kona. There is major talent here every year. 32 Countries represented and only 26 athletes from the U.S. although 3000 starters.
What other race other than Kona does a 9:36 place 8th in the age group other than Kona.

2: The race allows drafting. 2 people told me this. Now I realize they are full of shit. Not only is the draft rule more strict than the U.S. (8 minute penalty for unintentional, and immediate DQ if deamed intentional) I hardly saw anyone draft! I have never been in a race in the states or Kona without seeing many, many athletes cheat. I was shocked to see that hardly anyone was drafting. The male 30-40 and under 30 started after me, so alot of very fast cyclists pasted me, and I have to say, many were in lines, but definately more than 10 meters apart. The officials were all over the place, and the couple of times I saw drafting, on uphills, which should be a bit more flexible...the officials nailed them. I have never seen such a presence by race officials in any event. I never biked more than 5K without seeing one the entire race.

3: European age groupers Dope. Bull. We stayed in a camp with athletes from Spain, France, Germany, etc. These guys are the fittest people I have ever seen. Guys from spain staying beside us telling me of the 20,000 ft ascent rides they do. It's quite simple. They train very hard and they come here to race one of the largest most competitive fields in the world.

So a quick summary as we are off to Italy to relax and drink wine.
Without Hannes and his family, the race would have been very difficult. They have no special needs, but designated areas where athletes are allowed to receive their nutrition. Hannes was all over that course for his brother, Ann and I. His parents and girlfriend were at multiple points cheering us on. Hannes' father is 72 and very, very fit. He told me he biked about 90K on race day.
I have to be pleased with a 7 minute PR of 9:36, especially this year as I turn 42.
Achilles pain the entire bike and run but managable. Pretty bad now though, and I dont think I will be running for at least 3 weeks.
Overall, it was a tough day. Windy and in your face for the majority of the bike. There is hardly any length of flat here, it's predominately either up or down. Many, most, of the down hills are descending into small villages, where there are 90 degree or S turns at the bottom so alot of braking. More humid than typical here, and it got hotter than it was all week on the run. Alot of people, including me, bonked a bit second half of the marathon. McCormick missed alot as the pros start at 6:20 am, but even he was 10 minutes faster than world record pace at the 1/2 marathon mark, than finished 4 minutes slower than the record by the finish.

Pre race: unbelievable. They cover each and every bike in the transition in case it rains. The atmosphere is similar to Kona. We both felt ready to go. Ann ran into the water 2 minutes before the start! That' cutting it close. They have waves here, because they have to. 3000 starters in a canal with choppy water. The waves are sizable though, around 400 people 5 minutes apart.

Swim: 1:03. Yes, I feel this was my sub 1 hour day potentially. Got kicked in the face 100 meters into the start and my goggles flew off. I spent 20 seconds searching for them and finally found them. The nose bridge was broken. Not a huge deal, but I have contact lens' in and cant see 20 meters without them. As I saw my group swimming away from me I though, crap, here we go...just deal with it. So, thank God Bob Bruce showed us that open water drill of figuring out how many stroke you need to take before sighting. So, I closed my eyes, stroked 8 or 10 times, then lifted my head straight up to sight. I was wiggling off course all over, but after 5 minutes or so, it was bearable. I breathed to the side every stroke like usual, but just kept my eyes closed for most. It was easy until I caught my group, then became a battle as I swam into many slower swimmers. Sun directly in my eyes and I just couldnt see well enough. So, more breast stroking than I wanted but I got through it, although swallowed numerous mouthfuls of manure tasting water. I was extremely happy to climb up out of the water, check my vision in each eye, and realize I still had my contacts it. I always put a spare pair of contacts in my T1 bag, so no matter, but it saved me several minutes not having to do that. 30 seconds stuffing my wetsuit into the bag. If you dont stuff your own wet suit, 8 minute penalty.

T1: I dont know...still a bit shook up over the goggles, I wasnt thinking straight. I grabbed my shoes and ran to the bike mount across wet grass in my socks. What? What the hell was I thinking! So now I look like stupid American in the bike mounting zone, having to set my bike down on its side to put on my shoes...man I felt stupid. In retrospect, I did have a very fast T1.

Bike: 5:06. Do not come here thinking this course is fast like Florida. This was my assumption. It is somewhat flat by European standards, but it felt like Wisconsin would seem. Rolling hills almost the entire way. The 4 long stretches of flat for about 5K each were going the wrong direction, as the 15 mph headwind was present on each and every one of them. There is no doubt in my mind on a flatter course, I was looking at something around 4:50, even with missing the last 3 critical bike rides in the final 3 weeks. That's life though. I just dealt with it and in fact, pushed the bike harder than I expected to try to get close to 5 hours because I knew the marathon would be tough.

T2: Very fast and right there at the bikes.

Run: I got on the run and looked at my watch. If I ran a 3:16 I would be right at 9:30. Deep in my mind I knew I was not capable of this. I ran 16 miles at 8:30 pace 10 days prior as my only long run a month prior to the race. I put together 7 runs in the final 3 weeks, but 3 of them were during race week. Yes, my achilles injury hurt me and I knew it was a matter of time. I told Hannes before the race I knew I could run sub 3:20 for about 18 miles, but my missed critical runs would then play a factor in how I finished. Regardless, I didnt make the desision to play it safe and run 7:45 as I originally planned. I got off at 7:20 pace which would put me a couple of minutes belowe 9:30, and just tried to hold as long as I could. I held 3:15 pace for 25K and then the wheels started to fall off. I have never pushed that hard on dead legs in an IM, not even at my bonk in Kona 04. I ran my 5K from 25-30 K in 9 min pace and quickly realized my PR of 9:43 was in jeopardy. I repeated to myself over and over again, I dont know how many times. "You've made a decision to PR, now deal with it, do not let it slip away". At 30K, a relay runner ran past me moving at quick 8 min pace or so...so I nashed my teeth and slipped in behind him. By 32 K, 10K left, my legs were blown but I realized if I could just maintain 8-8:30 I would slip under 9:38 or so. At 33K, along the canal, fully explosed to the aternoon sun, I saw Ann up ahead of me 150 meters or so. I thought, this is perfect! I will catch Ann and we can finish together (she started with the pros, 40 min. ahead, and I also realized she was going to be sub 10:20) I was happy for a sub 10:20 for her, but I made the prediction to the entire Spain camper beside us that she would run 10:15...yes, I said 10:15. I still remember there eyes getting big when I told them that.
So, I ran with Ann as the very next person in front of me from 33K to 37K, pumping my arms, limping on my achilles to catch my hero. That was one of the longest 4K stretches I have ever run in an IM. She just sat there, 150 meters in front of me. I pumped my arms, shortened my stride, increased my turnover...all the tricks I've used for years at the end of a brutal race to catch someone.
At 37K, with 5K left...I watcher her run awaw from me, 200 meters, 300 meters, and by 39K she was out of sight. I almost teared up but just put a smile on my face in all the pain I was in. I knew, even with the 200 meter uphill finish, I would be under 9:37, motivated, and driven by trying so hard to catch my training partner, and life partner. And as I watched her run away from me, I thought. What an athlete. To come from no sports background just 3 years ago and look where she is now. Competing in Europe. Winning in Europe. I looked again at my watch as I heard the announcer in the distance. Ann Chivarella, heavily rolling the "L#s", the way it should be said. Looking at my watch, 9:35....she did it, she ran her 10:15.

The finish: What can I say, running into a finish with 25,000 people blows kona away. I missed most of it though as I was a bit dizzy and tired. One thing with bonking, you dont enjoy your finish as much.

The racing spirit in Europe: They treat ALL finishers with respect here. They dont separate out the pro top ten and ignore age groupers that may finish in the top ten in IMNA events. If you fairly finish in the top ten, you are recognized standing with the pros on the podium. I dont think I will ever run an IMNA Qualifier again because of this. It's insulting to me, to ignore talent.

Solar hill: The race is worth it just for this stretch of hill about 3 minutes of climbing. Estimated 50,000 in the town out watching, and forming a tunnel 10 people thick all the way up. Only one bike at a time can fit through. Thousands of screaming spectators in your face in multiple languages. You can here the screaming as you enter town, about a mile away. Then you turn the final corner and see 400 meters ahead of you a spectacle like the Alp d huez at the tour d France. It's mind blowing. The overwhelming emotion going up that hill I will never forget. The one part of the race I never notice pedalling. Just floating up in that sea of screaming fans and flags. I will never, ever forget that.