Tuesday, April 15, 2008

IMAZ and Ford Ironman North America

So, the Odyssey Coaching Kona train is loading.
So far, 5 going to Kona

Qualifiers to Kona at AZ
Kelly McKean
Kelly Hovland
Dave Ciaverella

Califonia 70.3
David Lowe

IMWA
Ann Ciaverella

on the side,
The race made us all feel like this may be our last I think. I dont know, this was definitely the toughest I've done, and even talking to my AG winner (fastest AG bike split) he also thought the race was more difficult than Kona 04.

Who knows. All I know is that everyone gave it their best and you cant second guess anyones performance out there. It was really a test of endurance and those that didnt fair so well (345 dnf) deserve the credit for getting out and fighting as long as they could. You know, luck does have something to do with it. I could have bonked at any moment and I was on the verge. The race could have taken anyone of us down. I am really proud of everyone who gave this race their best shot on this difficult day.

Ironman North America is losing touch, and respect...at least with me

One of the Ford IMNA reps at the award ceremony said, "lets hear it for the pros. Unlike the age groupers, when the conditions get tough, they cant just let up and slow down, they have to push to the end"

This is one of the most offensive comments I have ever heard, and to come from Ford IMNA. You mean to tell me that age groupers just "let up and just slow down" when conditions get tough? These people are so out of touch with reality. I dont know any age grouper out there yesterday that didnt give every ounce of energy into finishing that race. I was fighting as hard as I could to catch my leader, and I am 100% certain everyone was fighting as much as the pros in those conditions. I am really developing a dislike for Ford IMNA. Some of them just dont get what connects us all in this sport. Whether an athlete runs a 16 hour race or an athlete runs a 9 hour race, I am willing to bet both are pushing just as hard. They just may have different physiology, but they both are out there laying it all out. That is what connects us.

Erin Perkin was in bed sick 1 week ago and literally missed about 5 days of workouts, 4 of them final tune up critical workouts, including the last long swim, bike and the quality run.
She was still feeling very weak and couldnt even finish our 25 mile ride tuesday before the race.

Yet, she got out there in shit water, PR'd the swim, then got out on a 112 ride in the wind, then fought as best she could in the marathon, considering she was layed up ill just last weekend. Then to take 10th in a very competitive age group. As her coach I couldnt alter her confidence in any way on race day or during the week so I just acted like she was never sick and pretty much tried to ignore what I knew she was up against. I knew she had very, very difficult odds of even finishing on this race day considering the condition she was in 5 days prior and to be honest, when I hit the wind on the first loop, it was her I was worried about because of her recent illness. Yet, she fought and again, became an Ironman. I am very, very proud of this girl.

Kelly Hovland, who did not let up and fought tooth and nail, digging deep to gain the podium spot and finally get the elusive Kona slot she's been seeking. Well deserved...and I knew it was coming. I will be proud to be starting with her in Kailua bay in October.

Kelly McKean, what can I say...you showed no mercy on those girls with a 3:40 run, one of the fastest runs of the day. I dont know what you're potential is but you have got "it". You're an animal.

Everyone else down here, I know it wasnt your best day, and I realize for a couple, the day was a bit too much but realize it could have happened to any of us. I was very honored to be out there with you as a teammate and coach.

Hey Ford IMNA!
You trying to tell me these athletes werent pushing as hard as the pro's on this extreme day? Yeah, I am 42 and in my 5th season, but you dont think I give as much as the overall winner Jozsef Major, in my own race?
Yes, the pros have the luxury of dropping the race if they bonk, to recover quickly and race soon again. Still, when it comes to finishing the race at all costs, the age groupers typically always leave more of themselves out on the course.

It's bad enough you give many race advantages during the race that clearly allow the pros a 1, 2, up to 10 minute advantage over those elite age groupers tying to break into the top 10 overall, and thus gain qualification for their pro card. You dont think we notice?

You dont think we notice when you announce the "top 10" and ignore any age groupers the actually finish in the top 10?
Did you not think we noticed at the televised Ford IM Louisville that you listed Catherine Phillips (#1529) 4th overall with an asterisk, and actually didnt even mention her name as you were reading off the top 5 women, as if to pretend she wasnt even 4th on the list?

If it werent for the 2000+ age groupers, remember, you wouldnt have your race.

IMAZ 2008
Percentage of Age Group non-finishers: 16%
Percentage of Pro non-finishers: 29%


-Dave Ciaverella