Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Stay out of the middle

In my masters swim on Tuesday, the coach made a comment specifically to the triathletes.
"I see the same thing with most of you triathletes...you're always in the middle"

He stated that most triathlete swimmers he coaches have a common problem. They dont know or care to learn how to swim workouts correctly. The hard sets start too hard, then end up in a moderate pace effort. Any "easy" swimming, like that between sets, warm up or cool down, is virtually never easy, but more moderate pace.

He emphasized that triathletes seem to always swim too hard when supposed to swim easy, and when needing to swim hard, cant get to the pace they need to. There has to be a cycle of swimming easy when you need to, and then being able to swim hard when needing to. This is of upmost importance when approaching a key event, he stated.

Recall, my "Zone 3 Syndrome" several blogs back. This is the scenario our coach was discussing. Swimming in "the middle" or in "zone 3" is not unlike those triathletes that always seem to be working in power (not HR) zone 3. Thus, when needing to put out real power, or in a race, only can generate similar power to that in their workouts, and not beyond.

Just like they cant stand seeing someone pass them on a ride, or on a hill....they cant tolerate seeing someone in the lane next to them swimming past. They have to pick it up, even on the easy sets, in order to "save face". Even more common, many triathletes will insist on keeping pace with those that are far beyond them in fitness or ability on intense sets during the swim, bike, as well as run.

Trust me, most true athletes dont care about those around them. They are involved in their own workout. They resist getting caught up in the scenario of racing in workouts, and pushing too hard. Thus, when it comes time to race, many cant even race to the same level that they completed workouts.

There are those I train with, that probably wonder how I can race with so much more intensity than I train. How can I sustain the energy and power needed for an entire IM or 1/2 IM, that seems so much more then I put out training. As stated in the past, I never approach my maximum in training. I am relentless in holding the pace and watts I know I should, and resist competing with those who fly past me in workouts, both on the roads and in the water.

Thus, when it comes to my race, I am ready to race. I feel ready to "put it all out" on the course, in part because I havent over trained in over a year, and I havent spent needless emotion in "race mode" in workouts. This is why I can call on emotions, drive, and power on race day. More than I ever do in workouts for such a sustained period.

Its pretty simple. Controlling your own enthusiasm is one of the key factors in preparing correctly for a key race. Know who you really are as an athlete. Workout, and then race within your ability. Then improve upon that, making proper incremental improvements. Do this, and your big day will come.

I do not find it suprising that a world class masters swimmer picked up this common weakness in his triathlete swimmers.

Stay out of the middle, or you'll race in the middle. If you desire Kona, the podium, or more...the middle wont get you there.