Sunday, September 28, 2008

Good Week finishing 2 wks out

"The marathon's about being in contention over the last 10k. That's when it's about what you have in your core.
You have run all the strength, all the superficial fitness out of yourself, and it really comes down to what's left inside you.
To be able to draw deep and pull something out of yourself is one of the most tremendous things about the marathon."


Rob d Castella



I do, and always have, considered the Ironman as a marathon race. A marathon race at which you prepare for, by swimming and cycling about 6 hours prior. Even then, the race doesnt truly begin until the final 10k. You dont run slow, but it is an insidious ramp up to that point. Slowly allowing the pain to set in. Settling in at a rate that's manageable. In a way, its about reaching to, but not crossing the threshold. At mile 20, you intentionally cross that threshold, and here lies my quote by marathon great, Rob d Castella.

To become fit enough to breech that threshold. To be trained well enough to sustain, despite the ensuing suffering that is to come. This is where you learn who you are...or who you want to be. This is what it's all about.

There are those that dont reach this threshold as they just putter out well before, and that's one of the secrets to success in this sport. Knowing yourself and how close to approach that line without going over throughout the race. Preparing yourself to race the final stage of the race.

Running as long and as hard as possible in hopes to survive is not an intelligent strategy and will likely lead to a very long day in the end. Putting "time in the pocket" by over stepping one's ability on the bike, in hopes to have time to spare for the marathon is likewise, not a good strategy. Sure, the strategy has worked for some, but the vast majority just cant handle the run off a bike split above their means.

This is why we spend hours and hours time trialing throughout the months, and getting to know those boundaries without over doing it.

Pretty good week to finish 2 weeks out from Kona.
About 170 miles on the bike over 4 rides and 3 high quality rides with copious time trialing.

The swim was average at just over 12,000 meters. I cut the 4th swim short Friday because of logistical issues (a thousand kids in the pool) and only got in 1600. The remainder of my swims went well. One of my good swim workouts included 40X50, each 5th 50 using the ankle band without pull buoy. After 30 or so, this begins to get difficult.

The running, very happy with 50 miles this week over 6 runs. 2 speed sessions, 1 brick run at brisk pace and to finish out the week, a solid 19 miler incorporating 12 X 1 min pickups to high Z3.

So, all in all....I dont really know how many hours but considering 14 workouts this week, probably around 20-22 hours or so.

It's not time for rest yet as I am still 13 days out. I am feeling strong on each workout and continue to feel strong during my final bigger week. This week will see a 30% drop in mileage in all 3 portions with similar intensity and I am certain I'll be feeling strong on my 60 mile ride Saturday in Kona. Final long run, as usual, will be 9 days out from race day, 16 miles.
I'll begin a more structured taper on Monday, 5 days out from race day.

I flew up the stairs today, 2 flights, skipping over a step the entire way feeling good power in my legs. Considering 72 mile ride with long TT on Saturday then 5 mile run, followed by my 19 miler Sunday...I'd say my recovery is...not surprising. I am fanatical on recovery calories, and the correct type and quantity. Its all I think about for the 24 hours post workout, and with back to back workouts, all I think about for 2-3 days following. I have emphasized recovery like beating a dead horse to those I associate with and coach. It's not about immediate results. My focus on recovery over months and months, each and every time needed, has resulted in a physiologic adaptation to stress. The up-regulation of enzymes facilitating glycogen production and storage, the facilitation of fat catabolism by scheduling certain workouts at certain times of the day. I can go on and on regarding this. With time and patience, you can tilt the fat/carbohydrate catabolism rate during exercise and competition. I am not talking monumental changes in physiology here...I am talking about fractions of a percent. These fractions translate to several minutes on the bike and run.

So, my rapid recovery after ITU Long course, Troika HIM, all of my 11 races since April this year, is not that surprising to me. I've worked hard and have been diligent regarding monitoring training stress, not-overdoing it, and recovery.
All in all though, things seem to be ok.

Of course, all this gibberish may fly out the window at Kona. This race can put anyone to their knees. It could certainly happen to me so I'll still be rolling the dice in a way that day. Regardless, I feel strong and should have a good race day barring some unforeseen incident.