Monday, October 06, 2008

New Years Day

I will be 4 years old Saturday October 11th.

I can't explain this logic to many, but those of you who live this sport to come to this island know what I mean, and those of you who dont, I hope you understand in the pursuit of your goals.

When riding my interval session out on Queen K today, preparing for the 3oth anniversary race at Ironman Worlds in Kona, I became a bit emotional as my bike was being blown from one side of the shoulder to the other, a couple of near misses off the road in cross winds of 25 mph. I ease up on the aerobars, loosen up my forearms to conserve energy for the rest of the 2 minute interval. I allow my bike to be driven forward, that jerking of the bars forward as I downstroke, and just let the bike move freely along the road. Yeah, blown around but in harmony with my forward momentum. Black asphalt, the sun bearing down...it's a feeling I've missed since my last competition here in 2006. Its difficult to explain. It's as though 2007 has been erased, my PR's over the past 11 months in the sprint, olympic, half and full ironman triathlons. All erased. All that is...is this road...in this place.

I remembered only those 3 other races here, 2004, 2005 and 2006. Yes I skipped 2007 to sacrifice in an attempt to smash my PR in Western Australia, and I did. But still...2007...I wasnt here.


But, still, living the ironman spirit means something special here. I feel as though my entire short life in this sport is only for this race. Since 2003, when I first witnessed this event as a spectator and having had completed an olympic and half distance that year, I have only thought of getting here. From that moment in 2003 altering my life, I have only thought of qualifying for this race. Each year, this race...its like a rebirth in the sport. The long training days, the endless time-trialing, nutrition, recovery, focus on not over-training, the fanatical attention to details. All for the hopes to qualify at the key race, and laying out the back-up plans if it falls through. All this....to get here, in October. Then after a brief break, it begins again, everything for this race, the next year, and the onslaught continues.

Why? Why do we dwell on such a race. I know what it feels like. I know I undergo more pain and suffering at this venue than any other race I've done. Why is this the pinnacle for me?

We all know why. We, as endurance athletes have a gift. We know how to find ourselves. Its not unlike religious suffering, or suffering for a cause bigger than ourselves. To achieve a better understanding of who we are, of where we want to be, and who we want to be. You become enlightened through suffering. Its not intentional. Intentional suffering is a disorder. However, the insidious suffering we endure to achieve greatness, or for a greater cause....this is healthy. To feel alive...this is different. To witness those lights, one by one as they trickle down alii drive, then the athlete morphs into the light of the finish line...guided by their own relevance in this place, you realize what we all have in common. This is pure...its real...and yeah, its love. I love this sport, and I love this place.

So, yeah...to me, and I know to many others to whom this place calls each year. That opportunity to reach enlightenment. To achieve beyond what we think or believe are capable of...that is the goal. This is why we are here.

Ann my wife, who has had a spectacular season, including PR's in all distances and an ITU world champion...I know you've been here before, and I know you realize what reality will be out here on race day. I know you have "it" and you will excel, despite all circumstances. Excel in terms of getting there no matter what the cost on race day. Going through this together, and knowing you're out there facing the same demons as I...that will drive me to endure what will ensue on Saturday. Go to that place one more time, we both know the passion that lies in your core, and we know you will have to go deeper, to rise higher than ever before. I know you understand all this, you'll do your best, and realize that you have a unique qift, and this is what we all strive for.

Kelly H and Kelly M. You know what it took to get here, and all the best for your very best race possible. Realize out there on that run, which will not be enjoyable to say the least...what it took to get here. All of those workouts...to be here. To experience this...the mecca of endurance sport. Try to force a smile in your suffering and come to know where you are. You are here. When you cross the line, you'll never forget it. It will seem like the first day in a new year for both of you.

Dave L, yeah, you gave me credit for getting you here, your first IM hawaii...and in the M60 age group, it doesnt get any easier. But, you and I both know what you've endured to get here. Sure I showed you a path, but you found your way. You and you alone are responsible for where you are...and where you'll be on Saturday. So, enjoy your first year of life as you're out there on Queen K, and discovering who you are. When you see the lights at the finish line in those final moments, you'll understand.

I talked to a friend last night over a beer who has run countless Ironman races over the years. He's young, M30 age group, and embarked on his journey 13 years ago with his first Ironman race. Now, after 13 years, he has qualified for Kona, 2008 (via IM China). 13 years on his journey and he's now here. Its staggering to me. He will know what I talk about on saturday. It will be the end of a 13 year quest for him. Yet, it will be the beginning of a new day for him.

So, Dean W...Godspeed to you on your New Year's day saturday.

Jason Lester, with the use of only one arm. I was asked by a reporter last night why I took on an athlete with a disability to coach for Ironman. I simply replied, "what disability".

The unique trait with Jason Lester, is that he doesnt see his disability. He knows it...but he doesnt see it. His hand slipping off his aerobars is more of an annoyance to him. When he and I swam 50 x 50 meter in the pool a couple of months back, swimming with one arm was not a concern to him. This is what makes him a top competitor in his division of disabled athletes. He competes with the non-disabled athletes. He sees himself as a competitor in the sport, despite his limitation. Jason has endured suffering that most of us will never know or understand. My hat is off to you. I will be there at the finish line, and after...we'll drink a pint to you on your New Year's day.

This is why I am here. Everyone has a story, and every story has a common ending.

That line on Saturday. Barring a mechanical failure or some unforseeen incident, we'll all get there.

So yeah...I will be 4 on Saturday. This is my New Year's day.